Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blog Entry 10: Influence of Film (Revision)

   In the article "Imitation of Film: Here's Smoking at You, Kid." by Nicholas Balakar, Balakar explains how movies and their actors/actresses can easily influence the actions of young teens, and pre-teens. In this case, Balakar is worried that performers who smoke on the big screen, may cause teens that watch these films to imitate the habit of smoking. Teens can easily be influenced by their peers, especially when their peers are famous actors/actresses, or performers; It's their job for these entertainers to capture the audience, be the center of attention, and the kids that look up to them as roll models, may mimic their action or behavior without knowing what their doing is right or wrong.
   As a kid growing up, one person I have looked up to would be Jeff Hardy. Jeff is a Pro-Wrestler, an entertainer. He was the cool wild type, who would put out everything in him to entertain the fans. Only recently he was fired from his job, because of a drug related issue. I was really in shock and disappointed. Someone who I've looked up too, who I thought was invincible. I can't begin to imagine what It must of felt like to let down the millions of fans around the world.
   Another person I look up to, Bill Goldberg(a pro-wrestler as well.) A couple years ago, Goldberg (Who was on hiatus) returned, because he wanted to do what he loved again. But just recently, he had quit he job. His excuse was he didn't like contents of the show. He felt it was not appropriate for his audiences and his fans, and felt his character was influencing his fans in a negative tone.
   When young kids can't find someone close to look up to as a roll model, they look up to strangers like movie stars, singers, or athletes. We don't know them personality, but they appear in the news all the time. The kids don't know why they are on tv, but it must be cool to be on tv, so the kids admire them.

3 comments:

  1. First of all,
    I think your claim/thesis is very clear because you state exactly what you are trying to say “Teens can easily be influenced by their peers, especially when their peers are famous actors/actresses, or performers; It's their job for these entertainers to capture the audience, be the center of attention, and the kids that look up to them as role models, may mimic their action or behavior without knowing what they’re doing is right or wrong”
    Next, you Basically gave only one reason and that’s when you state that Jeff hardy got fired because of a drug problem. I think you could have been more specific and explain how it would affect child who also looked up to him. your evidence was very brief!
    Lastly, I would like you to know that the whole was easy to read but you also had a few grammatical mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I am a student in Dr. X’s class and I was asked to give you feedback on your revision of the CAT. I think your summary gives the reader the main idea of the text but you forgot to tell the readers about the research that they did to show people how kids are influenced by actors and their smoking habits. It was a very important part of the text. So maybe try to make your summary a little longer and include important information. I think your claim/thesis is somewhat confusing but after reading the text over a couple of times I understood.
    Your claim was: “Teens can easily be influenced by their peers, especially when their peers are famous actors/actresses, or performers” but I feel that your thesis did not really connect to your paragraphs. You were talking about peers being actors in your claim instead of talking about actors/ performers in general. Over all I think you did a good job, your grammar is good and your essay was easy to read.

    ReplyDelete